Wednesday, April 5, 2023
- Much of central and northern Illinois is under a severe thunderstorm watch this morning until 11 a.m.
- Voters in Champaign and Danville re-elected their mayors on Tuesday but by widely different margins.
- Who will fill four open seats on the Champaign Unit 4 school board? The unofficial results are in.
- Decatur Public Schools will have three new members by its first meeting in May.
- University of Illinois students learned this week that police had arrested a male juvenile suspected of at least five apartment burglaries that took place last month in Campustown.
- April 5 marks the start of the Jewish holiday, Passover.
In today’s deep dive, we’ll hear about a Champaign-Urbana organization trying to make things more accessible for speakers of an indigenous Central American language.
217 Today is produced by Sydney Wood. Reporting today contributed by Jim Meadows, Emily Hays, Lillie Salas, Elissa Eaton, and Luis Velazquez.